Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The silence is deafening

I don't know his favourite food, his favourite restaurant or his favourite colour. I don't even know the colour of his eyes. But when I looked into them today, they were so grey and so lifeless. And the memory of meeting him flashed before me, and I recall his smile, full of mirth and mischief, a smile that reached his eyes.

I don't know Vikas well enough to be called a close friend, but I know him enough to know that he didn't deserve to die like that, in a blast of hatred and terror and cowardice.

A leg amputated, furious burns all over his person, failing kidneys... and what was his fault? That he chose to have coffee at German Bakery on February 13, at 7 pm.

The week that was, was of prayers for him. Those prayers are still with his soul that has crossed over. But his going has left behind a dreadful anguish in the minds and hearts of parents, siblings, family, friends – close ones and the ones like me. It will never go away.

My eyes will never forget the lifeless, far away look in his eyes, that I saw today at his funeral. And my mind will also never forget all those times I've met him and laughed and joked with him, oblivious to the fact, that soon, very soon, he'll only be a memory.

My emotions are troubled. They're confused. They don't know whether to feel deep sorrow at this loss of a lovely human being, or to feel justifiable hatred and uncontrolled anger at those who committed such a hideous crime, such an unpardonable sin...

It's been a week since blast, and a day since Vikas left us all, and the papers carry a headline: 'Even after 8 days, no breakthrough'.

I want to yell out to the ATS, to the government, to anyone who will listen:

'Will it even make a difference if there is a breakthrough?


Will the perpetrators be given a 'fair trial' like Kasab (26/11)?


Will I still hear explanations that a fair trial is a must because we're a democratic nation?


Someone tell me please: Are we a democratic nation for the citizens of India or for demons like Kasab and whoever is responsible for the death of Vikas and 14 others?


Will this terror ever end, or does our country want us to get 'used to' losing dear ones?


Will our Vikas ever get justice?'



My mind is constantly screaming. But still, there's only silence around. No answers. Only silence. And it's deafening.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

beautiful..nupur..agree to every word u wrote..