Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

For the city Maamas!

I awoke that morning, and was surprised at the dreariness that enveloped the city. The sun hid behind the thick, thundering clouds and and the rain pelted against the city and the wind whistled eerily, as if warning us of more to come.
I dragged myself out of bed, and soon was on my way to work. The car was soaked in rain, and the wipers worked over-time. I was warm and cosy inside though – the heater was on. And just when I was marvelling at my good fortune of having a four-wheeler, the traffic slowed to a halt. I peered through the droplets splashing on my windscreen, and noticed that the signals were out. “Drat!” I muttered.
Slowly, after four-five minutes, the cars ahead of me crawled on. And as I crossed the zebra crossing in front, I saw four traffic cops, their yellow raincoats drenched completely, busy directing traffic.
Caps covered their faces, and you could see them squinting ever so slight, while steadfastly doing their job.
And that's when I stopped marvelling at my 'luck', and was filled with respect for these men and women. Come rain or sun, they're always out there, amidst all the pollution, doing their bit in serving society. Just as I was thinking this, a biker, ignored their call to stop, and whizzed ahead, turning around only to jeer at them, as though he had accomplished something.
It's sad that we take our traffic cops for granted, sad that we accuse them of taking bribes when we are the ones who offer the so-called 'bribes' in the first place. Not once do we think that they are people who stand on the street, breathe in vehicle fumes and control a maddening rush. A job that I would definitely never be able to do.
Most people have a nonchalant attitude when it comes to dealing with traffic policemen. One too many times, I've heard friends chuckle and boast, “The maamu stopped me, so I paid him fifty bucks and he let me go!” Maybe now, after watching them stand for hours in the relentless rain, without even tree cover, guiding traffic so as to save us from traffic jam delays, they'll be respected more. Maybe we'll realise that they work not for themselves, but for this city, for us. Maybe we'll follow traffic rules more and make life a tad easier for them. Maybe our 'chalta hai' attitude will change.
I know mine has.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very good