Search This Blog

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Independence Day

Freedom.
The word brings to mind a vivid picture of me running… running with my eyes closed, droplets of rain splashing on my face, a smile lingering on my lips…there’s nothing ahead, except swivelling trees on either side, dancing grass and blooming buds…The road ahead is endless, seamless, boundless…my eyes are still shut, my smile still curvy and the taste of freedom on my person…
Today, my country celebrates 60 years of freedom. No shackles, no overriding foreign rule, no submissiveness. I did my bit - I wished friends a very Happy Independence Day. I bought a flag to show off in my car. I silently whispered a thankful prayer.
But, somehow, I didn’t experience the running, I didn’t experience the free smile on my face, I didn’t experience the bliss of ‘independence’. Why? The answer comes in a flash. The mind isn’t free. My emotions won’t let it. Be it anger, sadness, frustration, loss, grieving, or longing, the emotions hover incessantly.
Freedom is happiness. That picture conjured in my mind reflects happiness, within and without; happiness that doesn’t have to fight for space in the mind; happiness that doesn’t need to thrive on its opposite emotion; happiness that is valued, happiness that is pure, happiness that is reasonless, happiness that is free.
Someday, I tell myself, Someday it will come to me. Someday I’ll celebrate my Independence Day.

No comments: